Surprising Statistics About the USPS
Posted: 6/27/2014 at 12:00 AM
| with 966 comment(s)
I received some interesting information about the US Postal Service recently. For those that believe the post office is going away look at the information below.
Here are some interesting and surprising facts about the USPS.
Post Office Facts
- The shortest rural mail delivery route is Route 007 in Moody AL, where the carrier travels 2.1 miles each day and delivers to 286 boxes.
- The longest rural mail delivery route is Route 081 in Mangum OK, where the carrier travels 187.6 miles each day and delivers to 240 boxes.
- The most common city names are Franklin, with 31 locations, Clinton and Washington with 29 locations each, Arlington with 28 locations and Chester, Georgetown, Madison and Salem with 27 locations each.
- The longest Main Street in America is located in Island Park ID and is 33 miles long!
- The most unusual mail delivery method involves mule train delivery in Arizona. Each mule carries 130 pounds of mail, food, supplies and furniture down the 8-mile trail to the Havasupai Indians at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. The mule train averages 4,000 pounds of materials each day.
- The Postal Service moves mail using planes, trains and automobiles – as well as trucks, boats, ferries, helicopters, subways, float planes, hovercaft, mules, bicycles and feet.
Facts and Figures
Here are some fascinating USPS figures, on a per day basis:
- $222.2 million — average revenue received
- 523 million — average number of mail pieces processed and delivered
- 217.3 million — pieces of First Class Mail processed and delivered
- 267 million — pieces of Advertising Mail processed and delivered
- 22 million — average number of mailpieces processed each hour
- 363,300 — average number of mailpieces processed each minute
- $180 million — amount paid to postal employees in salaries and benefits
- 4 million — number of miles driven by letter carriers and truck drivers
- 7,559 — number of letter carriers who deliver mail entirely on foot
- 128,000 — number of address changes processed
- 2,554 — number of addresses added to the delivery network
Thank you for reading. Please continue to pass along your thoughts and article recommendations to me. I believe we are all in this data delivery game together so sharing information is critical. Please contact me if you would like a data delivery analysis of your current processes.
SI Solutions has both electronic and physical mail data delivery methods to serve your needs.